Friday, February 6, 2009

The Personal Invite

Over the past few weeks God has been driving home some important, yet very simple aspects of doing church and ministry. The main one is the power and influence of simply inviting another person to church or church events. My thoughts are not new or complex, they are actually quit the opposite. This is simply some of what God had been driving home with me over the past few weeks.

It is so important but so effective to simply invite an unchurched person to church or a church related event. Yet we all too often overlook this action. A good part of me is afraid that the simple invite will in time completely disappear if we don't begin to capitalize on its effectiveness. Those saying that inviting is too invasive, ineffective, or is now taboo will eventually win out.

Last night I attended The Source, which is the weekly gathering for the SIUE Campus Crusades. As I was driving up to campus last night I realized that the reason I was going is because one of their interns invited me to come; I had been planning to attend a different campus ministry last night but a simple invite to CRU quickly changed my plans. I bet this same process would have a similar affect on a lot of our unchurched friends.

Last Friday I was out to lunch with Gwen, Eli, and my parents. The server had been really friendly and open to conversation so as we were settling the bill I asked him if he attended church in the area. He said no, but asked a few question about where I did. We talked briefly and I left him a card, encouraged him to join us on Sunday, and asked him to call me if he had any questions. On the way back to the house my dad asked me if I thought he would ever make it down to Maryville? I said I didn't know but he was 100% more likely to come now that I have invited him. The stats are staggering. A person is far more likely to show up to church or an event after we have personally extended a very simple invitation come.

No comments: